Program Purpose and Benefit
In an effort to encourage more outdoor dining activity and place making, a Sidewalk Enhancement loan – a type of FAB-REP
grant funding – may be awarded, subject to the following conditions and limitations:
- Additional funds will be available to FAB-REP loan recipients, to cover up to 80% of eligible outdoor dining improvement costs, but not to exceed $15,000. A separate budget must be provided. The funds can be used for the cost of creating outdoor spaces that enhance the sidewalk experience, such as tables, chairs, and other furniture, lighting, greenery, umbrellas, and awnings.
- If the recipient does not qualify for the FAB-REP (i.e. unable to meet hours of operation or other requirements) a Sidewalk Enhancement Forgivable Loan not to exceed $5,000 can be awarded. A separate budget must be provided.
- All Sidewalk Loan recipients must hold a valid Sidewalk Café permit to be eligible for the grant.
- Application for the Sidewalk Enhancement Loan must include a plan to protect the improvements including all equipment and fixtures for the five-year compliance period, subject to approval by DIA staff.
- DIA reserves the right to inspect the improvements during the compliance period. In the event operator fails to use the improvements as intended, or fail to secure and maintain the improvements in good repair as agreed, including but not limited to loss of or irreparable damage (beyond normal wear and tear), the DIA may declare the recipient in default. The recipient will then have a period of thirty days to cure such default or DIA may withhold amortization of funds awarded under this Sidewalk Enhancement Grant.